Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Assignment 7 - Story Map

http://arcg.is/1PjbrwX

For this assignment, I was tasked with using ArcGIS to make a story map. I decided to use this as an opportunity to make an advocacy map to inform students interested in joining RIT Electric Vehicle Team. Whenever we have a new interested student ask about the club, we usually just list off the projects which are currently being worked on, which isn't really a full representation of what the team does. By making a story map, I was able to organize the team's activities so that they could be presented in a way that reflect's team's progression throughout the year and give interested students a better idea about what to expect if they join the team.

One useful thing I discovered in this process is that the story map's linking of photos to locations creates a strong sense of place. It was also beneficial to think about places the team goes throughout the year, as I started remembering team activities that I usually forget about such as community outreach. In addition to the strong sense of place, I was also able to establish an idea of the culture of the team (playing with the go kart in the parking lot, camping at the race track, etc.); something which is often hard to explain to interested students. After doing this assignment, I would be more likely to consider using an interactive map as way to display information.

No comments:

Post a Comment